Finding A God That Could Be Real
with Nancy Ellen Abrams
Many people today often feel dislocated and confused about the idea of God.
Since Isaac Newton’s findings of the universe and the birth of the Big Bang theory, we’ve had a hard time reconciling scientific truths of the cosmos and what the major religions tell us about both the start of the universe and the role of God.
This incoherence between science and traditional views of God has left us without a creation story and a map of meaning for our lives that we so desperately yearn for as humans. Or has it?
If you’re wondering how to balance God and science, this episode is for you.
Nancy Ellen Abrams
Philosopher, Lawyer and Author
Nancy Ellen Abrams, a philosopher of science, a lawyer and lifelong atheist believes she has found a new understanding of God that marries faith and fact.
Having undergone a remarkable healing from an eating disorder, she set out to understand how and why believing in a higher power is not only beneficial but also deeply essential to our existence.
As the wife of Joel Primack, one of the famed astrophysicists that pioneered the ‘double-dark’ theory of the universe, currently the most commonly adopted model in science, Nancy has sought to integrate a deep evolutionary understanding of our species with the latest findings in science, to understand God as a distinctly human phenomena and one that we need to anchor our existence and to drive us forward to greater things.
In A God That Could Be Real, Abrams explores a radically new way of thinking about God. She dismantles several common assumptions about God and shows why an omniscient, omnipotent God that created the universe and plans what happens is incompatible with science—but that this doesn’t preclude a God that can comfort and empower us.
Instead, we find a God that is an ’emergent’ phenomena from our distinct human consciousness and arises from our aspirations to continually evolve.
Looked at this way:
“God did not create the universe—it created the meaning of the universe. It can’t change the world, but it helps us change the world.”
An absolutely practical, pragmatic and science-backed understanding of God is perhaps exactly what we need in this 21st century of global interconnectedness and challenge.
What’s Your Feeling?
Join Inner Truth’s Facebook group + meet the community of truth seekers
- How did you move from an atheist to a science-backed believe in God?
- How important is it to believe in something higher than yourself? What are the benefits?
- Why is it the God question persists for us?
- How do our aspirations help differentiate us from all other forms of consciousness?
- What is the scientific theory of ’emergence’?
- What is the emergent idea of God?
- How have scientific findings since Newton removed God from most people’s lives?
- Does the discord between science and religion explain why many people don’t believe or take a view?
- How does the ‘double-dark’ scientific theory of the universe create a God for us?
- Where does spirituality sit in the universe?
- How close is the emergent God to eastern spirituality such as Taoism?
- How does free will and determinism sit in the emergent idea of God?
Subscribe For Inspiration
Join other Truth Seekers + sign up for regular updates, inspiration and secret giveaways